Why I love prophecy

I love prophecy. People who are on the outside of Jesus’ love often wonder why us fundamentalists love the prophecies so much, in addition to wondering why we love the bible so much. “Why all that doom and gloom?” they wonder. We are often thought of as crazy and soundly derided because it looks to the unsaved like we’re gleeful over the demise of all the lost.

But nothing could be further from the truth. We do mourn the effects of sin on a fallen and dying world. We do mourn the lost, who, incidentally are our fathers, and sisters, and mothers, and friends. We do ache at the mocking against God, and chafe at what the scoffers say.

But fulfilled prophecy means to me so much more than doom and gloom. It is actually light and promise. Literally: promise. Prophecy is God’s utterances of what will happen. He doesn’t have to tell us, but He does. The Ancient of Days, the Great I Am, tells us what He will do. We have opportunity then, to decide if we want to be with Him, or against Him. He is all glory.

“I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.” Isaiah 42:8

Knowing Jesus like I do, I know without a doubt that what He says will come to pass, will come to pass. Is it not so?

“My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips." Psalm 89:34

That is one of the reasons I love prophecy. In a crazy world when nothing is certain, the words of Jesus and His promises are not only certain, they are set in stone. The Capstone!

I love prophecy because it illustrates His past and His future justice. Sinning is a crime against Him. Crimes have punishments. The main crime is against Himself. He will not be mocked. God never fails to see even the smallest injustice borne by a long-suffering saint. He will rectify it all, upholding His holiness by bringing justice onto those who have chosen to be criminals in God’s court. In this way, He brings glory unto Himself, by magnifying His holy name, and the believers will sing praises because finally justice is no longer perverted in the world, but is perfect.

“How long will you say such things? Your words are a blustering wind. Does God pervert justice? Does the Almighty pervert what is right? When your children sinned against him, he gave them over to the penalty of their sin." Job 8:2-4

"The LORD is known by his acts of justice; the wicked are ensnared by the work of their hands." Psalm 9:16

“Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations." Matthew 12:17-19

The feelings of wanting righteous men to rule, to want justice rendered in the world, of wanting promises to mean something, are feelings of passion for the Lord to express Himself through fulfillment of those long-uttered promises. And that’s a good thing.

Comments